Applying for a Visa

General Guidelines for U.S. Teachers

  • Teachers should have an unexpired, undamaged U.S. passport. The expiration date should be no sooner than 6 months after teachers’ planned departure date from their host country. Also, teachers should make sure they have enough pages in their passports for stamps and visas during their stay (2-3 pages minimum).
  • The Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy/Consulate in your host country may provide general guidance on visa requirements.

RELATED NOTE: All U.S. teachers are required to enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) at prior to going abroad. This program registers you with the U.S. Embassy in your host country, allowing U.S. Department of State officials the ability to contact you, as needed.

Please refer to the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs websites below for information about each country regarding entry/exit procedures and other topics.