FULBRIGHT DISTINGUISHED AWARDS IN TEACHING PROGRAM FOR U.S. TEACHERS
The Fulbright Distinguished Awards in Teaching (DA) Program provides funding for highly accomplished U.S. primary and secondary level educators to take part in an intensive professional development program for three to six months abroad. The Fulbright Distinguished Awards in Teaching Program is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs and is administered by the Institute of International Education (IIE).
- Study in an overseas research center or university (academic support will be provided by a host institution advisor who will support the U.S. teacher and help contribute to the design and activities of the inquiry project);
- Participate in a virtual community with other participants to collaborate and share best practices about education in the participating countries;
- Work within local schools in the host country;
- Complete an inquiry project which should enhance teachers’ learning and have practical applications to their teaching (see the Inquiry Project section for sample projects). U.S. teachers will choose one of two themes on which to focus their project:
- Global Best Practices
- Developing Global Competence
As part of the program, Fulbright Distinguished Teachers:
- Study and observe international best practices in education;
- Share professional expertise with educators and students in the host country;
- Develop leadership skills and understanding of educational policy;
- Enhance their ability to work in diverse and multicultural environments.
For more information, please read the Program Overview for 2015-2016 U.S. Grantees.
Upon return, Fulbright Distinguished Teachers:
- Integrate international best practices in education in the U.S. classroom, school and community;
- Integrate inquiry project findings into the U.S. classroom or school;
- Expand global and intercultural awareness of students and colleagues by sharing their Fulbright experience and infusing their experience into classroom content or curriculum;
- Develop partnerships and joint projects with schools and classrooms abroad